Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Seven Habits of Incredibly Happy People

For this post I decided to do a little research, and I found this awesome article at the following website:

7 Habits of Incredibly Happy People

I decided to take a new twist on it though and find a quote that ties in with each of the "habits described."

1. "In times of greatest stress or adversity, it's always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive." -Lee Iacoccoa

If you're unhappy, then find something to be happy about. Read your favorite book, join a new club, start an exercise program, or doing something else you love! Keeping busy with things you enjoy in between the things you despise allows you to find balance and reduce your stress.



2. "Friendship may, and often does, grow into love, but love never subsides into friendship." -Lord Byron

Okay, this one may sound a little weird, but I don't mean the "true love at first sight" kind of love. I'm talking about the love that builds as you grow closer to someone, the love that is not about romantic feelings but about an emotional connection. This type of love is the greatest anyone can experience, and developing bonds like this with a few close friends gives you someone to turn to in times of struggle.



3. "Happiness doesn't depend on any external conditions, it is governed by our mental attitude." -Dale Carnegie

I discussed this more in depth a few posts back, but it's true!!! If your happiness only depends on the weather or how many miles you can run in an hour or how attractive your boyfriend is, you will never be happy. Happiness only results when you can learn to find the positive in any situation, despite your current circumstances.



4. "The reason I exercise is for the quality of life I enjoy." -Kenneth H. Cooper

Exercise is a great way to stay happy! You not only improve your self-image by taking care of your body; you improve your attitude as well. Exercise is one of those things that can turn a bad day into a great one, just by allowing me to view life through a fresh lens.



5. "Where there is no struggle, there is no strength." -Oprah Winfrey

Weaknesses and trials are inevitable. We all have our own storms to conquer and our own mountains to climb. However, viewing struggle as a way to grow emotionally can be one of the most effective ways to becoming truly happy. Instead of treating hardships as a painful and impossible experience to endure, we should view them as an exciting challenge to overcome.



6. "You cannot create experience. You must undergo it." -Albert Camus

Focus your energy on creating memories instead of living in your possessions. That new car may look like just the thing to lift your spirits, but material wealth only brings temporary pleasure. Experiencing joy with the people you love is a treasure that will last forever.



7. "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

And lastly, follow your dreams! Make sure when you reach the end of your life, you have no regrets. This has honestly been one of the most liberating realizations in my life. Once I had the thought that I can do anything if I'm willing to work for it, it made me immensely happier. If I want to travel to Europe, I can. Sure I'll have to work and plan and prepare for the trip, but I can certainly make it happen. It's a great way to look at anything. Live as if you're going to die tomorrow.



I hope these habits brought some form of enlightenment and allowed you to re-evaluate how you are contributing to (or withdrawing from) your own store of happiness.

-Sarah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment